> Hi, my distribution (Arch Linux) just switched to using the GTK3 build of
> gvim by default. But it behaves very poorly on my computer, the scroll
> speed is so slow that it's very difficult to use. With GTK2, everything is
> fine. Based on another thread about GTK3 performance showing output of a
> shell command, I used this test:

<snip>

Let me talk about the latter issue on shell command output first.  I'll
talk about the former issue on scrolling shortly after that.

I'm afraid it's not much relevant to scrolling.

Roughly speaking, when the GTK+2 GUI sends a series of drawing requests to
the X server, it completely leaves to the server what eventually appears on
the screen.  In other words, it doesn't care much about whether or not each
frame is drawn on the screen.  Not a few frames could be skipped undrawn.

In contrast, the GTK+3 GUI  draws a complete picture on a off-screen first
and then dump it at the server in accordance with a frame clock, so that
every frame will surely be drawn on the screen.

Ensuring each frame is drawn is important to realize animation of high
quality and considered to be one of inevitable features of modern GUI.

For those reasons, I'm now inclined to think that the performance test
you're referring to doesn't make much sense for the purpose of comparison,
because any GUI that cuts corners always beats a deadly earnest one at time
race. :)

As for scrolling, I suspect the refresh rate of the display you're using,
because GTK+ 3 uses a frame clock to update as noted above.

<snip>

> I hope this gives enough information to help identify the issue. Maybe
> it's not even a vim problem, but in case it is, I wanted to let you know.
> Please tell me if there's anything else I can do to help gather more
> information or test. Thanks for reading!

Thank you for sharing your time for Vim development and kind word to help
us.

Best regards,
Kazunobu Kuriyama