> Thanks, but it seems I have been unclear.
>
> My problem is that, all other things being equal, scrolling through a
> buffer in gvim is very sluggish using GTK+ 3, compared to using GTK+ 2.
> This is not a problem that affects other GTK+ 3 applications. My example
> using the output of seq was only to illustrate how slow the scrolling is.
> Maybe a better example is:
>
> $ vim -g -u NONE -U NONE /usr/include/stdio.h
> --> then hold down the 'j' key
>
> The movement is slow, the display lags, and when you let off 'j' it keeps
> going for a second. This doesn't happen in Emacs or gedit (both use GTK+ 3).

So...the issue is not about "scrolling" or "shell command output", but
"(downwards) vertical movement of the cursor", right?

I thought you were talking about your issue by making it relevant to the
other issue you referred to, so I gave my explanation based on that,
interpreting it as such.

Hmm...then the (possible) reason of the slowness is probably different from
that, and I have no idea on what causes it yet.