On 3/7/2017 4:10 PM, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov wrote:
Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
Justin M. Keyes wrote:
On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org> wrote:
On Sa, 04 Mär 2017, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Christian Brabandt wrote:
On Di, 28 Feb 2017, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

- Egyptian brackets have their function as well: it means you can see
more code on screen at once. Yet it does not make code harder to
understand.

Hardly and advantage and this is the main cause for merge problems.
Having the { and } in the same column is an advantage.  So this is
clearly a personal preference.

What is the advantage of them in the same column? More code on screen
means less scrolling and more immediately visible context, this is a
good and measurable metric.

It is a metric, but I doubt it is the correct metric to use: for instance, so what if lots of lines can be seen at once if they are crowded and jumbled up? Bjarne Stroustrup used to use an Egyptian style based on K&R -- but recently adapts the Allman/BSD style: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent_style#Variant:_Stroustrup -- one wonders what made Stroustrup switch! Perhaps he got a bigger or higher resolution monitor.

- Rules for alignment/indentation of multiline expressions were
written to make it easier to understand which exactly are
operands/what function arguments actually belong to.

Not sure what this means.

Something like “+ should be indented with `a` in `(a <EOL>+ b)`.
Though I am just describing function of another point in the style
guide: it is a counter to your statement that styles are mainly
personal preference, not “look Neovim has best style guide ever,
because …”.

I have handled tons of algebraic equations and prefer to end lines of a multi-line expression with the operator. So the argument "... make it easier to understand ..." begs the question: for whom? Not for me, thank you!

--Suresh