On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:59:41 +0100
Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't /tmp deleted at every bootup? If it is, or on the systems where
> it is, this makes it useless for files whose chief utility is to allow
> recovery after a program or system crash.

That is an interesting point, however this is not unified among
systems. An alternative would be to place them in a location like ~/.vim

> IMHO, the kind of considerations in Herrn Böcks message should not be
> handled at Vim level but at the level of system security in general.
> In particular neither system configuration files, nor files containing
> passwords or the backups of such files, nor "invisible" files (whose
> names start with a dot) — and this includes Vim swapfiles — should
> IMHO be visible to the lambda web user.

This seems quite vague and more like trying to discuss the issue away
instead of solving it. Can you be more specific what you have in mind?

It sounds like you expect from web servers to generally block access to
dot files. However that won't work, as there are standardized locations
on web servers i dot files (e.g. .well-known URLs, part of a couple of
modern standards). So how should that specifically work while not
breaking existing things? And who exactly should solve it in what way?

> Whether a privileged login
> should be allowed from a remote console is for every sysadmin to weigh
> seriously, with consideration of the particular system's requirements.
> On my machine I don't allow any remote login, and I don't open (other
> than in "view source" mode) emails from dubious sources, but of course
> other systems have other requirements: it is not always practical to
> require that privileged logins should be allowed only from one
> particular keyboard and screen located in the head office computer
> room, to which only a few select operators (or BOFHs) are allowed
> entry.

Sorry, can you explain what this part has to do with the problem?
Because I see no connection whatsoever.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42