The problem with storing the .swp tiles in /tmp though is that (on most
distributions) /tmp gets cleared on every reboot, which is a problem
since one of the major purposes of .swp files is to allow recovery of a
vim session after system crash/hard reboot.

Also, the default Apache httpd config does permit serving of . (dot) files.

Perhaps we should store the swap files in a sticky directory visible by
all users that is a) not ever going to be on a **shared** NFS and b) not
going to be cleared on reboot (say /var/cache/vim/swap), and then set
the permissions for all .swp files to 0600.

It's also not really reasonable to expect every user of Vim to be aware
of every potential security vulnerability and edit his configuration
files to protect against them. See the first paragraph of the "Secure by
Default" section at https://www.openbsd.org/security.html.