wrt the interface, I've written a small plugin that starts a terminal
window with a program that runs my builds and prints their statuses.  It
doesn't have a lot of output.  I'd like to be able to have normal-mode-ish
keys for the window mapped (e.g. dd deletes a build result and makes it
rerun, <Enter> opens the log of that build). I'm actually doing this now,
but the terminal doesn't update while in normal mode, so I have to remember
to put it back into terminal mode (which loses the cursor position).  I can
probably write this plugin to use the job_* functions somehow, but it
*might* be a useful use case.  (Not sure the best way to solve it.)

I've had some performance problems with the terminal, but nothing else with
the interface.  It took a bit of getting used to, switching back from
Neovim, but I'm now accustom to the default mappings and find it pretty
nice to use. It would be nice to add an option to allow terminals to be
abandoned on :qa and such, but that could also be added later without
breaking the interface.

The performance problems may be related to sudden copious output (a lot of
rust compiler warnings at once trigger it for me), or maybe ANSI escapes of
some kind.  Vim locks up for say 30 or so seconds, moving the cursor but
not really redrawing the terminal (as far as I can tell) and not being
responsive to input.  If I run the same command after suspending Vim, it
takes <1 second.

-Jason