Justin M. Keyes wrote:

I'm glad to give credits to developers who send me a patch that I can
include and make Vim users happy.  No matter where that code came from.
Why give credit to NeoVim as a project, instead of its individual
contributors?  That would mean NeoVim helps Vim moving forward.
As a sort of breeding ground for new Vim features, which you have hinted
at before.  Unfortunately, I see the opposite.  Many thing that happened
in NeoVim make it more difficult to take changes back to Vim.  The code
is refactored in a way that no bigger patch can be taken over.  Tests
are written in a way that won't work in Vim.  And the mission statement
"seeks to aggressively refactor Vim" is clearly saying this is all
intentional.

I fully admit I have been slow to include certain changes, for various
reasons.  And it's no surprise if the authors make their changes
available in other ways, such as a fork with those changes applied.
If they are serious in wanting these changes being included in Vim, they
would make that easy to do.  Christian has been very good in this,
for example.  And if there is a project that takes these changes to
build a "better Vim", with the intention to merge at least some of this
back, then that would generally be a good thing.  But that's not what
NeoVim is doing. I see a project that intends to replace Vim.  And that
may also have positive effects, but as a project I can't give NeoVim
credit for what happens in Vim. Just like I don't give Emacs credit for
ideas about what you can do with a text editor.

Again, I'm talking about NeoVim as a project, not a collection of good
willing contributors.  And it looks like this project currently has no
goal to help make Vim better.  There are only side effects.  If NeoVim
wants to help Vim, then I'm open for ideas.  Making it easy to have a
patch work for both Vim and NeoVim would be a good start.

15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
    party because you're not in the mood.