On 2020-05-22, dirdi wrote:
> Thank you both for your fast response!
>
>     Gary wrote:
>     It says that the eol character appears at the end of the line;
>     it does not say that the eol character represents the EOL sequence.
>
> My point is that the line does not end, but the file. Therefore, the behavior
> does - to my understanding - not comply to :help lcs-eol.

That's an interesting perspective.  I would have said that the line
ends at the end of the file, as the programs I've seen that don't
end the last line of the file with an EOL nevertheless intend that
the line end there.  That's not how "cat file1 file2" would handle
it, though, for example, if file1 didn't end with an EOL.

>     Gary wrote:
>     In the case of the last line of a file that does not end with an EOL
>     sequence, the eol character shows where the text of that line, including
>     white space, ends. By not having the eol character at the end of the last
>     line, the user would lose that information. So I think it's a feature and
>     the intended behavior, not a bug.
>
> Is not the lcs-trail setting responsible for indicating trailing spaces?

That would work, too.

>                                                 *lcs-trail*
> trail:c Character to show for trailing spaces.  When omitted,
>         trailing spaces are blank.  Overrides the "space"
>         setting for trailing spaces.
>
> E.g. setting it to a dot :set listchars:eol:$,trail:. gives:
> 2020-05-23-021102_90x52_scrot
>
> My (maybe wrong?) intention is that the window content should represent what
> will be written to disk, when one executes the write command. Hence, the
> lcs-eol character should be displayed, iff it would be written to disk (i.e.
> if
> it is present or if the fixeol setting is set).

I don't think you're wrong:  you have a good point.  I think there's
more than one way to present this information.  Vim (vi?) chose one
way and you would have chosen another.

I suppose it could be an option [ducks].  There are some issues with
the way that some other listchars are handled (notably lcs-extends),
but no solution yet, so there might be an opportunity to make
lcs-eol work either as you would like or as it does now.

Regards,
Gary