I recently installed Syntastic
(https://github.com/vim-syntastic/syntastic/) under Vim 8.1 (from
https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/vim ) on Ubuntu 18.04, and
have stumbled upon an odd issue.

If I start gvim (vim-gtk3) from a terminal, I see a sequence of escape
characters printed before Vim starts up:

$ gvim
�[>4;m�[>4;2m

This also happens with the standard 'vim' (it's worst if I'm SSH-ing into
the machine), right after Vim starts. This ends up corrupting the screen
and means I have to force a screen refresh to get Vim to work correctly
again.

I've tested a few different versions of Vim on a few OSes:

- Ubuntu 18.04 with Vim 8.0 from the Ubuntu repos -- works fine
- Ubuntu 18.04 with your Vim 8.1 -- has the issue
- Ubuntu 20.04 with either Ubuntu's Vim 8.1 or Jonathon's Vim 8.2 -- works
fine

Disabling Syntastic fixes the issue, though I'd rather not do this as I've
come to rely on it.

I've reported this to the Syntastic developers, and they suggested that
while Syntastic may be triggering this bug, it's not responsible for it --
and that I should report the bug here:
https://github.com/vim-syntastic/syntastic/issues/2350

Does anyone know of a bug resembling this in 8.1, or know of a workaround?

Thanks
Phil.