Dominique wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
>
> > Philip Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > > I've just solved a packaging issue on the machine, and Apt has pulled down
> > > Vim 8.2.1897, with the same issue. Console output below:
> > >
> > [...]
> >
> > > philpem@cheetah:~$ gvim
> > >  [>4;m [>4;2mphilpem@cheetah:~$ gvim
> > >  [>4;m [>4;2mphilpem@cheetah:~$
> >
> > You probably have a shell command in your startup files.
> > Combined with a terminal that doesn't ignore this escape sequence
> > (iterm?).
>
> The escape codes in the shell prompt has nothing to do
> with Vim, unless it's a shell started in vim with :terminal ?

It's not the shell prompt but the codes that Vim uses to change the
terminal state.  A shell command needs a different state than what Vim
uses when editing.

> I recall that for recent vim, terminals such as xfce4-terminal
> and gnome-terminal (maybe others) in Ubuntu-18.04 are too
> old and Vim can output spurious codes on the terminal,
> It hapens for example when doing  :!date
> Ubuntu-20.04 does not have this issue (newer terminals).
> There is a workaround: for old terminals: add the following
> lines at the beginning of your ~/.vimrc:
>
>   " Work around spurious characters in old terminals when doing :!date
>   set t_TE= t_TI=

I would not call them "old terminals", but newish terminals with bugs.
Old terminals just ignore codes that are not recognized. These newish
terminals had bugs that got fixed at some point, so perhaps you call the
version with a bug old?

Anyway, patch 8.2.2307 attempts to fix the problem for when a shell
command is used before Vim has started up.  I hope there are no side
effects, we'll have to see.

101. U can read htis w/o ny porblm and cant figur eout Y its evn listd.