On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 2:01:49 PM UTC-6 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Manuel Ortega wrote:
>
> > I very much hope that one thing will be changed. Currently '#' only
> starts
> > a comment when it's followed by a space, if I understand correctly.
> Please
> > make it instead behave like almost every other language that uses '#' as
> > comment character, and *don't* require that it be followed by a space.
> >
> > The choice of '"' as the comment character in vimscript of course proved
> > bit awkward, but forcing it to be '#<space>' rather than '#' is even
> worse
> > IMO.
> >
> > I note that if you look in the dictionary of comment characters found
> > inside the popular NerdCommenter plugin, there are exactly ZERO entries
> for
> > which '#<space>' is mandatory. There are five entries that indicate a
> > style preference for '#<space>' but allow '#'. And there are 134 entries
> > for which '#', with no following space, is a comment character. (For 125
> > of these 134, that's the primary or sole comment character).
> >
> > If one of the goals of vim9script is to be more like what a user
> expects,
> > then '#' and not '#<space>' should be the comment-starter.
>
> Where do you read that there must be a space after the #?

Ah, it seems I misremembered the details.  But my point remains pretty much
the same.  I'd said it was unexpected for the comment char of vim9script to
be '#<space>'; it's at least as unexpected for it to be '<space>#', and
even more unexpected for it to be "'<space>#', unless it's the start of the
line".  That makes things worse than the old way, not better.

Otherwise it could be confused with an autoload script item.

Then the right thing to do would be to change the autoload syntax to not
use '#'.  The main point of vim9script is to break backwards compatibility
to "fix" stuff, right?  I would say having a normal and sensible
comment-char, after all these years of an awkward one, it more important
than keeping the autoload syntax the same.

And it definitely doesn't behave more like other langs (which seems to be
one of vim9's goals).  '#' in bash, ruby, etc. don't require a space
beforehand.  There are ZERO entries in the aforementioned NerdCommenter
dictionary for '<space>#'.

-Manny