On the voting page I see:

   5  92  improve diff mode: automatic refresh, better merge support
   11 72  add diff/merge capability for git, mercurial et al.

I don't understand the intent of item 11. For example, there's the
plugin

https://docs.stevelosh.com/splice.vim/

Which is full featured. (It's a vimL/python hybrid); there's
instructions for using it from git, mercurial and bazaar; there's a
demo screencast. I think it has some great features;  I'm far from
expert on merging and/or merge tools; so who knows. Splice hasn't been
touched in around 10 years.

I'm wondering if there's a need for item 11 since plugins can do it,
perhaps Splice could be released with vim if an out of the box merge
tool is wanted.

To both improve my merging and learn vim9, I did some development work
with Splice. I converted its vimL code, and some python, to vim9 and
added some features (for example clickable/rollover HUD commands
(heads up display)). Made some contributions to vim along the way,
that was cool. When vim9 classes are available, I'm thinking of
porting the remaining python code, then there will be pure vim Splice.

Some features, under item 5, could be added that would allow
improvements to Splice, or any merge tool.  There's probably more
features that could be added for merge tools; following are ones I
recall; I didn't delve into the issues very far.

- positions relating to sync and diff information
  One view has 4 buffers each displaying a different stage of the
  change/merge. Would like to highlight a given conflict in each of
  the buffers. The positions for each conflict must account for the
  visual "holes" (where one side has text and the other doesn't).
  Getting the data for any combo of sync/diff sounds good.
- what would diffput/diffget do
  I saw a request for merging both sides of a conflict, this data
  might help with that. Or perhaps a new command "merge-both-sides"
  might be the way to go, always assuming some manual fixup
  afterwards.
- Interactions of text property priorities and diff highlights
  Also had some interaction issues with search highlighting.
  todo item that considers this: "Text properties:"
  (BTW, virtual text fixes one of the text property todo items)