On 2022-08-18, Ernie Rael wrote:
> On the voting page I see:
>
>    5  92  improve diff mode: automatic refresh, better merge support
>    11 72  add diff/merge capability for git, mercurial et al.
>
> I don't understand the intent of item 11. For example, there's the
> plugin
>
> https://docs.stevelosh.com/splice.vim/
>
> Which is full featured. (It's a vimL/python hybrid); there's
> instructions for using it from git, mercurial and bazaar; there's a
> demo screencast. I think it has some great features;  I'm far from
> expert on merging and/or merge tools; so who knows. Splice hasn't been
> touched in around 10 years.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a need for item 11 since plugins can do it,
> perhaps Splice could be released with vim if an out of the box merge
> tool is wanted.

There is also Fugitive, and I've written my own that's a small
enhancement to git's vimdiff merge tool.

I agree.  Vim should offer features and interfaces that allow it to
be a powerful diff engine and display for users directly and from
plugins, but it shouldn't know anything about any particular VCS.
Plugins should handle the interfaces to and idiosyncrasies of the
VCSs.

Regards,
Gary