On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 06:12, Dominique Pellé <dominique.pe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

About point #9 i.e. "Incorporating the runtime file updates"
> I've always found it odd that some changes were split into
> a commit in src and another commit later in runtime. It
> often caused confusion, with PR author asking "part of
> my change was not included?!" and the response being
> "it will be in the next runtime update". Perhaps that's
> something worth revisiting?

I assume you're aware of how it worked but for others, user-maintained
runtime file additions and updates didn't receive a patch number and were
batched in a periodic "Update runtime files" commit.  However, any related
changes to the core runtime like filetype detection were committed
separately with priority as these did receive a patch number.

I discussed this with Bram a couple of times over the years and the
distinction was intentional.  I don't have a strong view on it but I agree
that it's quite confusing for new and casual contributors.

<snip>

There might also be other unrelated changes
> which were pending in the next runtime update
> that never happened. Often Bram responded
> with "I'll include it" when people reported
> corrections to the docs for example.

It seems that there hasn't been an update of the user maintained runtime
files since June 11[1] so there's likely to be a significant number of
submissions that have been dropped.  For example, Bram didn't respond to my
last emailed update on July 6.  Perhaps we should make a request for these
to be resubmitted by PR at some stage.

Regards,
Doug

1.