On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 7:05 PM Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org> wrote:
[…]
> I use git, because all the information can easily be found in the
> internet and it is still very actively developed and a lot of questions
> on how to use it have already been asked :).
>
> For mercurial I have to refresh my memories and the information on
> StackOverflow and similar seem slightly outdated.  And I just do not
> remember how to use it anymore :/
>
> But maybe it is just me...

Who knows ? For Mercurial I have preset command-lines for the commands
I use most, which are (for use with bash):
• hg in || echo "exit status" $? ; date
• hg --pager=yes --color=yes in || echo "exit status" $? ; date
• hg fetch --switch-parent || echo "exit status" $? ; date
• hg log -G -l 20
   (or some other number: number of changesets to display, starting
from most recent)
When the fetch fails at the merge phase, it may be for various reasons
so I check the stdout for a clue and generally I find it. Then I may
correct the problem and/or make the merge in several steps, each time
followed by
• hg commit -m "manual merge"
     or some other commit message
And when there is something I have forgotten, the online help is
almost as good as Vim's: for instance:
• tell me how to use the merge command
--- hg help merge
• tell me which extensions there are, and which one are installed
--- hg help extensions
etc.

> Thanks,
> Christian
> --
> Before you ask more questions, think about whether you really want to
> know the answers.
>                 -- Gene Wolfe, "The Claw of the Conciliator"

Best regards,
Tony.