On 23/08/28 12:13 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
On So, 27 Aug 2023, Ernie Rael wrote:

Greetings,

In March of 2022 I started porting Splice[1], a 3 way merge tool written in
vim/python, to vim9script. I had never used vimscript and felt weak when it
came
to merging; so "two birds with one stone". There's now a pure vim9script
version. It has some UI enhancements.

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on setting it up for general
availability. Currently I've got everything under
~/pack/random-packages/start/splice-vim with one file in .../plugin and
everything else under .../autoload/splice9. All imports are relative to
facilitate having multiple versions installed.

I think using autoload for everything was a mistake and caused some of the
weird
errors I see when screwing around what get's imported and/or what get
declared
with proper type. In particular if in some file a variable gets exported and
the
file does imports, autoload can run into problems; now that Splice9 is
stable,
I'll play around with it. I'm guessing the right thing to do is put app
files
under import and "library" type files under autoload.

Splice9 is never, well, hardly ever, run from the command line. It it run by
the
version control tool. Currently I can have .../autoload/splice9 be a symlink
my VCS work area, very simple. But for general use I know there are a
variety of
ways to provide it, packadd and package managers, and I see this
EditorConfig
plugin that's now shipping with vim and I wonder if that's relevant, and
possibly a myriad of other approaches.

Anyway, suggestions and/or pointer to docs in this area that discuss best
practices appreciated.

Some of the Splice9 UI enhancements:
     - Additional status info (compact) in the HUD (Heads Up Display).
     - The action buttons in the HUD are clickable.
     - Rollover highlight for active HUD buttons.
     - Click for popup of shortcuts.
     - Can specify each action's ":map"/shortcut individually.
     - Can set "use meta" and the meta key is used instead of using
g:mapleader.
     - Version control system configuration the same as original Splice.

[1] https://docs.stevelosh.com/splice.vim/
Is that a request to package this with Vim? ;)

No, it wasn't. I've never published, or otherwise made available, vimscript/vim9script (this is the first vim[9]script I've done). I have seen a lot of talk in this forum on managing plugins and such and I'm wondering what's the best way to do it.

If people have some experience with Splice9 and want to make it available with vim at some point, I'm not adverse to it. But I think it's a bit premature...

-ernie

I would be interested into trying this out,
There's a video accessible through steve's website that shows how to use the tool, as well as configuring git/mercurial/others to use it. Once vim9 is stable (any day now)...
  as I have had to fix a few
conflicts already, but I just used the git mergetool -t vimdiff (which
worked surprisingly well, once one knows what all those different files
are)

Best,
Christian