On Jul 9, 2011, at 7:52 PM, David Patrick Henderson wrote:

> It is superficially a means of packaging. A vimball package distributes the
> add-on files to the correct directories and runs tags on the add-oh docs if
> it has any. A vimball is really just all the add-on files concatenated
> together + information about where the files are stored within the hierarchy
> of either the user’s .vim or the system wide location. To install a vimball
> one “edits” the vimball in vim and sources the file. The UseVimBall command
> then copies the files that the vba contains into the proper locations,
> creating directories if necessary; runs the command to add any help files
> into the vim help system; creates a record entry about what went where.
>
> Using the RmVimBall command undoes the above operations except I don’t think
> it will delete any created directories but it does run the help tags to
> remove the tags added to the local entries.

Thanks, David. I had no idea it had all those other capabilities. I've been
treating the vimballs like they were zip files.

I don't know. In my initial post on this I assumed that down the road there
would be a lot more plugins, and that an addon manager might be very helpful.
It's also possible that I'll eventually settle down to just a few, though with
the power of Vim and the plethora of plugins, addons, scripts, etc. my initial
assumption might be more accurate.

I'll check out the help on vimball.

Thanks for this additional information.

Sincerely,