On 9 Jul 2011, at 18:17, Eric Weir wrote:
> I now have a few Vim plugins installed. I assume there will be more, if not
> many more, coming down the path. Back when I was just getting started with
> Vim a couple months or so ago I had a brief flirtation with Pathogen. Thought
> I would get set up with a system for managing plugins before beginning to
> acquire them. However, Pathogen seemed to be creating problems in getting
> VimOutliner running, I was encouraged to abandon it, and I did. Now I'm
> wondering if maybe its time to give a plugin manager a try again.
>
> Again, I have brief experience with Pathogen. I've bookmarked the Vim pages
> for vim-addon-manager and Vundle. I'd appreciate any feedback or guidance on
> these or other plugin managers I may have overlooked. Any insights will be
> welcome, of course, but I'd be especially interested in comments of people
> who have experience with more than one of these or other plugins.

I tried VimBalls a while ago but grew frustrated at the work that needs doing
when a script/plugin isn't already packaged as a VimBall.  I switched to
Pathogen and it has always worked wonderfully.  If a conflict with VimOutliner
is the only thing holding you back, I'd file bug reports with the authors of
VimOutliner and Pathogen and hope it'll be resolved soon.

With Pathogen it doesn't matter how other scripts/plugins are distributed.  You
just copy their root directory into your bundle directory, where they are
cleanly separated, and Pathogen takes cares of loading them up.  This contrasts
with some other plugin managers where each plugins' files are mingled together
in Vim's various directories.

Finally, if you are familiar with a version control system, I'd suggest
version-controlling your home Vim directory regardless of what system you use
to wrangle plugins.  Then, if you install or change something and suffer
problems, it's easy with your version control system to revert the change you
made.

Yours,
Andy Stewart

-------