Hi,

I have pushed two changes that modify default behaviors in MacVim:

1. The toolbar is hidden by default.
2. The "experimental renderer" is now enabled by default (and it is
now called the "Core Text renderer").

Item 1 is because the toolbar is a complete anachronism, and it is
ugly.  I expect it to be even uglier on Retina displays since there
are no 2x assets for it.  (It can be enabled by adding "set go+=T" to
your ~/.gvimrc.)  This point may annoy some users since the toolbar is
enabled by default in other Vim GUI ports.  I'll leave it open for
discussion.

Item 2 has been a long time coming.  The reason I did not do this
*sooner* is because there are still some features that the NSTextView
renderer has which are lacking in the Core Text renderer.  In
particular, you can't double-tap with three fingers over a word to see
its definition (adding this functionality is a bit complicated but I
have some proof of concepts in my private repo).

The reason I was pushed to change the default renderer now was because
Apple has made changes to NSTextView which completely changes its
rendering appearance on OS X 10.8 (lines are *a lot* taller than
before).  The Core Text renderer on the other hand looks uniform
across platforms.  Another belated reason is that high-res displays
are becoming quite common (and of course now there are even Retina
displays).  The NSTextView renderer struggles with these high
resolutions, whereas the Core Text renderer does not.

Björn