> renderer has which are lacking in the Core Text renderer.  In
> particular, you can't double-tap with three fingers over a word to see
> its definition (adding this functionality is a bit complicated but I
> have some proof of concepts in my private repo).

In case you haven't seen it: This got a lot easier to implement in 10.8, since
you can implement quickLookWithEvent:, send a request for the word at the
cursor position to the vim process, and then asynchronously call
showDefinitionForAttributedString:atPoint: once the result arrives.

(In 10.7 and earlier, one had to implement some synchronous NSTextInput method,
which was annoying to do in multiprocess architectures.)

Nico