Hi!

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> > Here's my problem. I like >8-color schemes. Unfortunately, my
> > terminal of choice (urxvt) only supports 88 colors (t_Co=88).
> > Thus, most colorschemes revert to their 8-color behaviour or
> > simply do nothing, neither of which is what I want.
>
> You might like my CSApprox plugin, check it out:

I will definitely give it a shot (on those systems where I can't
control screens behaviour (enough) with the solution below).

> > The most excellent colorscheme "desert256" is both to my liking
> > and works well in plain urxvt. It's when screen is involved that
> > things go south. Screen tells vim that t_Co is 8 which is not
> > only wrong, but also ugly. If I tell vim by hand that t_Co is 88,
> > things become trippy but not beautiful. With t_Co=256 it looks
> > almost like the default case without screen (close enough for me,
> > anyway).
>
> screen doesn't "tell" vim that t_Co is 8, screen tells vim that the
> terminal type is "screen" and vim looks that up and figures out that
> the "screen" terminal supports 8 colors.  The way to fix this is to
> configure screen to advertise the terminal type more accurately by
> putting something like
>
> term screen-256color-bce
>
> in your ~/.screenrc.  You might need to install this terminfo entry -
> on Debian/Ubuntu, you can do that by installing the ncurses-term
> package, other distros will vary.  If nothing else, you can look up
> how to decompile the terminfo entry on a system that has it, copy the
> plain text version to the system that doesn't have it, and recompile
> it there.

That works (nearly[0]) perfectly, thanks a bunch! I hadn't know
screen has this "256-color mode" and needs to be told to
advertise it. But I do see how some machines without the proper
terminfo/termcap entries might barf so the screen devs went for a
safe default.

> > - Whose fault is this?
> > - How do I fix it?
>
> Hope that helps, but if you need more help feel free to ask.

Oh it does work very well. Now I only need to find out why one
machien is still a bit stupid about term colors, but that might
be a genuine bug in urxvt on 64 bit machines. Unfortunately, I
only have sporadic access.

Thanks again,
Tobias

PS: Bill, I appreciate your input and it made it *nearly* work
(modulo the machine mentioned above), so thanks to you, too, of
course!

--
: You are in a dark room with a compiler, vi, an internet connection,
: and a thermos of coffee.