On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM, sc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 1:42 pm, Dan Heller wrote:
>>
>> I want to turn off showmatch, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
>> I use ":set nosm" or ":set noshowmatch" to no avail.
>> I searched for info about this on the forums and other places, but
>> nothing came up.
>> Finally, a google search found a document that showed someone else
>> asked the same
>> question in an IRC chat, but no one answered it.
>
> is it possible what you are really after is the 'nohlsearch'
> option?
>
> sc

Or perhaps the  matchparen standard plugin has become enabled.  You
can run the :NoMatchParen command to shut it off.  ":he matchparen"
has instructions for how to disable it altogether.

You can also find out where 'showmatch' might be getting set by
setting the 'verbose' option to non-zero or using the ":verbose"
command.  You can see ":he :set-verbose" for more info on that one.