+1 for Bitstream Vera Sans Mono

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <r...@dervishd.net>

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 09:38:51
To: <vim_use@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: offtopic - readability in programing fonts

Saluton Jesus :)

First of all, I don't think this subject is off-topic on this list,
since many many many vim users use vim to program and spend a lot of
hours doing it. Having a decent color scheme and font is important.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:45:58 +0100, Jesus Sanchez dixit:
> Despite the external factors as ambient light, CRT or LCD
> screen, the "dark on light" or "light on dark" theme dilema...
>
> what fonts do you think are better for long hour sessions?

I think that it is VERY subjetive. There are plenty of scientific-like
studies about "dark on light" and "light on dark", and I respect them,
but I always suggest to test both and pick the one you find more comfy
with. Myself, I like "not-so-light on dark" for editing, but "dark on
light" for just reading.

As for the font... that's a different issue. Until a month ago or so I
was using GVim because I thought that it looked better, being GTK+ and
all that. I didn't use the menu, nor the icons, so I had a console Vim
in every aspect except the font. GVim renders fonts much worse (in my
humble opinion) that any terminal emulator I've tested, so I switched
back to console vim on a terminal emulator, and now I have antialiased,
hinted fonts. So, if you ask me about readability, I pick console Vim
on a terminal emulator that supports font aliasing (e.g. gnome-terminal,
xfce4-terminal, sakura, etc.). If you ask me for a font, I've tested
dozens, literally, until I found that DejaVu Sans Mono (or the more or
less identical Bitstream Vera Sans Mono) is the perfect font for me.
Quite round, very readable, good Unicode coverage, has very different
"l" (that's an "ell"), "1" (number one) and "i" (small eye) characters,
very different "0" (zero) and letter "o", etc. Moreover, when
antialiased and hinted it looks great on my TFT monitor and makes very
easy to edit and read. In fact I use that font for EVERYTHING that shows
characters in my Linux box, I really like that font.

Of course your mileage may be very different from mine, but I would
advice a font for you for programming that is unambiguous, no serifs, at
a size that lets you rest back in your chair without having to have a
magnifier on the screen ;), and a bit round (I've read studies about
that, and "round" font faces are easier to read that fonts with lots of
angles... it works for me, at least).

In short: I recommend Bitstream Vera Sans Mono or DejaVu Sans Mono, with
a size of 12 or even greater depending on the physical size and pitch
size of your monitor.

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...