On Saturday 20 December 2008, Jesus Sanchez wrote:
> Hi there, last week I was spending a couple of hours coding
> and I wondered what kind of fonts are the "Pro's" favourites.
> After 8 hours in front of the screen my eyes hurt, and I thought
> people have suffered this issue before.
> I'm working on a really loaded OpenBSD machine and I
> try to keep things simple, without gvim, antialiased fonts
> and all that stuff, only an aterm window and Vim :) to keep
> the minimal CPU ussage.
>
> Despite the external factors as ambient light, CRT or LCD
> screen, the "dark on light" or "light on dark" theme dilema...
>
> what fonts do you think are better for long hour sessions?
>
> some of my favourite options are Courier-like fonts, buts
> lacks on the letter "o" , "l" and number "0" and "1". At the other
> side the "Terminus" font looks great, I recommend it.
>
> Thanks for reading :)
> -Jesus

As mentioned by others, fonts are highly subjective. I spend about 10 hours
a day in front of the computer. I usually choose fonts without serifs.
What I have found really helped was to switch to gvim (over vim) and use
a white background with dark text. By reducing the contrast of the area
within my field of view, my headaches dropped off dramatically. For a short
time I switched back to a dark background with bright text and the
headaches returned. Not a really scientific experiment but one that was
telling; at least for me.

Noel

  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com     Chips, firmware and embedded systems