> Speaking of VIM patterns, it seems vim doesn't support conditional
> expression patterns, only in perl.
> Anyone has any tip/workaround for that fro vim regexp?

I'm not sure what "conditional expression patterns" are in Perl.
  For more convoluted regexp logic, you'll find Dr. Chip's
"LogiPat" plugin (http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/ for
the .vim script) a good first-stop.  You may also want to read at

   :he /\@<=
   :he /\@<!

for some of the operators it looks like you're reaching for.  The
first one references "Matches the preceding atom with zero width.
Like "(?=pattern)" in Perl."  which is about as close as I can
get you. :)

-tim