On Sep 10, 9:58 pm, Linda W <v...@tlinx.org> wrote:
> The only ones that look halfway readable are the Lucida
> family...followed by the Monospace 821.  .  New courier is just too
> thin.  Consolas isn't much better (a free font
> download from MS, no less!)

I've gotten a lot of good use from DejaVu Sans Mono which you mention
briefly, without giving a reason as to why you don't like it. I can
understand the frustration, though. The first time I saw DejaVu I
thought, "ick" but it has slowly grown on me. Consolas I like most of
the time, but a few glyphs (like M and N oddly enough) look disgusting
enough I only use it as a fallback if DejaVu is not installed.

>           Desired Enhancement 1:   Font Lists, acting as fall-through
>           backups for missing chars
>
> I'd first like something like the 'guifontset' option work to
> automatically use successive entries on the font list as 'fallback'
> entries if the character being displayed isn't in the currently selected
> font.
>
> [snip]
>
>           Desired Enhancement 2:   Support of Font Families
>
> If this were supported, one could actually specify what font to use for
> what named Unicode block.
> The names of the blocks are published and can be tested.

The problem I see with both of these mappings is that Vim creates a
"grid" of sorts based on a certain number of characters, upon which it
draws everything. This grid is set up under the assumption that every
character is the same size. This is a valid assumption for characters
within a single monospaced font, but as soon as you start mixing fonts
it is no longer valid.

For similar reasons, guifont is a global option rather than tab-local,
and non-monospaced fonts look terrible when you force Vim to use them.