Chris Suter wrote:
> Say I've entered insert mode by typing 4s -- removing four
> characters from the current cursor position and leaving me in
> insert mode. Is there a built-in means of repeating this?

I'm sure you know that (in normal mode) pressing . will repeat
the change, but it will insert the same text that you typed the
first time.

I use a very simple kludge:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Copy_or_change_search_hit

The above is surprisingly helpful. In your case, I would search
for "xml" then type cs ("change search") and type the new text,
then n (find next), then cs then type new text.

Of course there is not much difference between 4s and cs, but
the cs is always the same and so can be typed on automatic.

John