On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:36:56PM EST, vimer_at_cn wrote:

> Chris Jones-44 wrote:
> >
> > This makes me think that it might be a good idea to find a more
> > distinctive name for your file names, and possibly the corresponding
> > tags in the help file..
> >
> > Why not PlainTextBrowser.vim, for instance?

This turns out to be a _bad_ idea:

:h plugin

The 'NAME' section:

| First of all you must choose a name for your plugin.  The features provided
| by the plugin should be clear from its name.  And it should be unlikely that
| someone else writes a plugin with the same name but which does something
| different.  And please limit the name to 8 characters, to avoid problems on
| old Windows systems.

Name should be limited to 8 characters.

> The main reason to name the file as txt.vim is that I deem plain text
> as a new type of language.

Nitpicking, I know.. but 'the features provided .. should be clear from
its name'.. and 'txt' does not provide any information about the
plugin's feature, just indicates that it handles 'txt' files.

> Setting the filetype as its filename extension make people easily
> realize this point. This language has its own syntax and corresponding
> highlight just like the C language, setting its filetype as "C" and
> has its file named as "c.vim". Of course it is informal, I will think
> more about your suggestion and if I accepted your idea in the final, I
> probably name it as tht(Tags and Highlight for text).

Hmm.. I see your point. But in that event, wouldn't 'txt.vim' be the
reserved name for a standard syntax file for files with filetype=txt?

And as the overview in 'txt.txt' indicates, 'txt.vim' does quite a few
things apart from syntax highligthing

Anyway that was just a suggestion, and one nice thing about not changing
its name is that it would save me the trouble of reinstalling it.

Otherwise, I was very pleased with myself after cleaning up my .vimrc a
few weeks ago. What I didn't realize is that I had an large collection
of obsolete plugins, macros, docs, etc. in my ~/.vim/ tree, stuff that
per the timestamps of the 'ls'command went as far back as 2005..

While researching this issue, I moved most of that stuff to a .vim/tmp
folder, and though I have reinstalled the current versions of most of
the plugins I had removed, I am no longer able to reproduce the problem
with C source files being recognized as ft=txt.

I have something like forty plain text documents created with the
asciidoc markup language, and txt.vim together with the taglist
plugin does a very nice job of displaying them.

Thanks,

CJ