On Jan 19, 2:13 pm, Peter Berntsen <ptr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Running 7.2.245 under Slackware Linux 13.0 and I have noticed that
> my .vimrc file doesn't seem to be read. For example to not keep a
> backup file I comment out the code for that in the vimrc file like
> this.
> "if has("vms")
> "  set nobackup         " do not keep a backup file, use versions
> instead
> "else
> "  set backup           " keep a backup file
> "endif
>
> this only works when it is done in the /usr/share/vimrc file and not
> if it is done in the ~/.vimrc file.
> Is there something I have overlooked or is this a bug in version
> 7.2.245?

Peter,
I didn't read this post closely enough before my original response; I
mistakenly assumed that your personal .vimrc was not being sourced.
The :scriptnames output tells me that it is being sourced; note,
however, that uncommenting the if/else block above ensures that your
personal .vimrc has *no* effect whatsoever on the setting of this
option. If your distribution's system vimrc sets it, it will have that
setting; otherwise, it will be left at the default: nobackup. I'm
guessing that the distribution you mention sets 'backup'. If you want
this turned off, you would need a line like...

:set nobackup

...in your personal .vimrc to override the setting in the system vimrc
(which is sourced prior to your personal vimrc).

Hope this helps...
Brett Stahlman