do not swim upstream, spit into the wind, or attempt to create a
colorscheme named 'default'

Curious... What is the wisdom?

There's already a colorscheme named 'default', so naming another
colorscheme 'default' didn't work as expected, and isn't worth the
hassle.  Just call it something meaningful.

I wouldn't have tried it if there weren't already a default.vim in the standard distribution. I looked at the contents of the file and it was mostly empty, but the name sounded so authoritative. I wonder about its role.

The reason why I looked at it was - I'm the only vim user - and the default colors are rather difficult to read in vimdiff even with syn off.

Yes, I wouldn't replace it in a multi-user environment...

I used to upgrade once per version so the "overwrite by upgrade" was not a concern for me.

But thanks all - now I know where to look.

Ben Kim