Hi Duane!

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Duane Johnson <duane.john...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think what I'm looking for is something like vimtutor, but just
> slanted a little more toward developing muscle-memory.  I want a solid
> base of knowing that "w" goes to the next word, and that "h" means
> left and "l" means right, for example.  I know this sort of thing is
> probably ridiculously easy for you, but that's where I'm at.

Start small!  That's what I did.

Trying to learn all of the features of Vim at once is asking for brain
meltdown.  Get used to a few key features at first, then  make a concerted
effort to learn a few more, at individual steps.  I googled around for "vim
tutorials" and picked a group of features to learn as my next step.  People
think different features are "the killer feature" so grab a bunch of
opinions and find something that intrigues you.

Here's what I did:
1) Learn to use h, j, k, l.   Put those arrow keys down and leave 'em down.
Every time I used the arrow keys, I forced myself to :qa! out of Vim (that's
"quit all without saving", i.e. start over!).  I got used to h,j,k,l pretty
fast.
2) Move on to w,b.  Use 'em, love 'em.
3) Move on to something else.  For me that was using D, I, and A.  Your
mileage and interest may vary.
4) Next up for me was using windows.  It's often too easy to open up another
instance of Vim but don't be tempted!  Don't reach for that mouse or the
Start menu, :sp is a loyal and true friend and he doesn't like to be
ignored!

I think the bottom line is that there are so many features of Vim that
trying to learn things "just to learn them" is pointless.  Use the ones that
you'll USE to actually improve your editing experience.  I know plenty of
people love registers and tags and quickfixes etc., and I've messed around
with them a bit, but for me they haven't really captured my interest.

And I second following the mailing list.  Lots of good tips and tricks, and
a great way to "learn by osmosis".

-Dan