On Thu 08 Apr 2010 at 07:28:22 PDT Tony Mechelynck wrote:

Yeah, thinking about it, it looks like we're once more against the conservative <=> progressive theories of learning (Reminds me of a
recent comment I gave on one of Paul Krugman's NYT blog articles).

Tony, I found your pejorative use of word "conservative" quite
offensive.

I could just as well argue that vim, having the roots it does in Bill
Joy's now ancient vi editor, represents a very traditional way of using
computers.  And like most conservatives, I think traditional ways are
often best.

The postmodern, "progressive" computer user is probably using some
dumbed-down, web-based monstrosity hosted on Google.  But even if he's
using something installed on his own machine, he certainly won't be
using anything as keyboard-driven or with as powerful a command language
as vim.  He does all his work with pulldown menus, toolbar buttons,
drag-and-drop, etc.  (How much editing power do you need to Twitter or
update your Facebook wall anyway?)

Maybe we should leave politics out of this mailinglist, eh?