On Apr 21, 9:52 pm, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>  At work I am not allowed all that nice gimmicks like
>  grep, find, sed etc. which were ported to windows also
>  due to security reasons.
>
>  I would like to get back some of that functionality
>  mainly of text related Unix tools via vim.
>
>  First step into that direction is the answer to
>  the question, whether it would be possible to
>  apply a certain "command" (here, I mean with
>  "command" anything which does something with
>  text) to a bunch of files of a certain
>  pattern in a directory from within vim.

A few possibilities I know of:

1. Use a loop construct in Vim (for, while), with the glob() function,
to do something to each file returned by the function.
2. Launch Vim with all the files you want (which I think can use
wildcards) and use the :bufdo or :argdo commands.
3. Modify/use the argument list within Vim, and use the :argdo
command. See :help argument-list and following help sections and
links.
4. Use Vim's command-line options to run the commands you want, within
a "for" loop in a cmd.exe shell. Of particular use would be the -c and
--cmd command-line options to Vim, and the following reference page
for the available DOS-style commands (including for loops):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778084(WS.10).aspx

You specifically mentioned the grep and find commands. Vim has a :find
command (though the glob() function is more like the Unix find command
I think), and also a :grep command (which by default on Windows will
use the 'findstr' utility, not nearly as powerful as grep), and
finally a :vimgrep command (which is entirely built-in, allowing you
to use the full power of Vim's regular expressions). For the last two
commands I mention, obviously you can see the :help, but also take a
look here:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Find_in_files_within_Vim