Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Matt Wozniski wrote:

> > > I agree that that would be better.  At the very least, it definitely
> > > should be returning a list, though - even if you don't want to make
> > > all characters after EOL give back the same list, they should at
> > > least give back an empty list.
> >
> > No, if you give an invalid argument it doesn't return a list.  If you
> > want a List, make sure you always pass a valid argument.
>
> What will it return for the character just past the end of the line?
>
> Returning the same as the last character just seems wrong (since there
> aren't any syntax items there).  (So I assume that's not the planned
> change.)
>
> But if the plan is to return an empty list, it seems weird to not return
> an empty list for every character position past the end of the line.
> (How is EOL+1 any more 'valid' an argument to synstack() than EOL+29?)
> Or is the goal to just return a list for any column position that could
> be returned by col()?

At the character just after the end of the line it returns the syntax
state at that position.  It's always a bit tricky if this is just
before, at or after the line break.

Note getting back a List means the arguments are wrong.  This also
happens if the line number is out of range.  I don't think making an
exception for when the column number is out of range is useful.

--
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.