I have set up some abbreviations to turn certain ASCII strings into
appropriate Unicode counterparts, for example from '==>' to '=>'. This works
wonderfully.

One problem, however, is when I now have a Unicode character sitting in my
buffer, I can't jump to it easily using the insert-mode 't' and 'f'
commands. Is there any way I could do this? The best for me would be if I
could do a 't=' and have it count occurrences of '=>' among the things to
jump to, since I originally typed '=' to get that character.

A related but different issue is getting those characters into the command
line buffer, for example if I want to search for a a string containing
Unicode characters. My abbreviations won't work in that buffer... is there a
way to get them to work? Or what about yanking/putting text between the main
buffer and the command buffer?