Oivvio Polite wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how was the decision made that the vim
> wiki should be hosted at wikia? Wouldn't be natural for a
> project of this size to have a wiki completely under its own
> control?

Some history of the wiki is available here:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:About

While the Vim Tips wiki should be hosted on a system completely
under our control, it was decided at the time (early 2007) that
relying on a private system operated by a Vim enthusiast may
lead to long term problems if that enthusiast were hit by the
proverbial bus. Indeed, the whole Vim mailing list ground to a
halt for several weeks in 2007 when the hosting server suddenly
became unavailable (that's why we are now on Google Groups).

I have recently received a good offer of free hosting, but now
we have the additional problem that forking would cause, in
addition to any concerns regarding buses.

John