Gareth Oakes wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:18 am, Stahlman Family <brettstahl...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Christian Brabandt wrote:
Hi Rahul!
On Mi, 13 Okt 2010, Rahul wrote:
I maintain a simple Todo file using vim. Each line has a task.
Sometimes for an important task it would be nice if I had a keystroke
that would make the whole line (or visually selected set of lines) a
particular color, say "Red".
Is there a way of setting this up? I've colored before but it is via a
Syntax File looking for keywords. That might also work in this case
but I was wondering if people have a way to dot this.
I have never used it, but this sounds like you want the txtfmt plugin.

Very cool! I was using a much simpler method for my TODO files:

nmap <A-v> :2match IncSearch /.*\%'<\_.*\%'>.*/<CR>

Select line(s) using visual mode then Alt-V once finished to highlight
the lines. Txtfmt sounds way better though!

Gareth,
If you find yourself performing the same highlighting operations often in your TODO files, you might want to check out the "user-maps" feature in the Txtfmt help. The basic idea is that you can build Vim maps from both Vim commands (e.g., motion/delete commands) and Txtfmt primitives (e.g., insert red-bold tokens, jump to next format token, etc...) to automate common highlighting operations (e.g., make the current line bold-red on a blue background). The following example was copied from the help file to illustrate the concept...

" Map <LocalLeader>rb in normal mode to make the current line bold with
" a red background.
let g:txtfmtUsermap1 =
            \'nnoremap <LocalLeader>rb <<n\vI:kr,fb>><<n\vA:f-,k->>'

:help txtfmt-user-maps
:help txtfmt-user-map-examples

You might also wish to create maps for common operations such as making the current word bold, italic, red, yellow, etc... The odd-looking syntax of the user-maps seems to frighten some new users away, but it actually looks worse than it is, and the examples can serve as a pattern. Also, I'm happy to provide more tailored examples as necessary...

Sincerely,
Brett Stahlman

-Gareth