* John Little <john.b.lit...@gmail.com> [101102 21:04]:
> On Nov 3, 12:48 pm, Tim Johnson <t...@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
>
> > :setlocal iskeyword-=$->
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> (I see others are getting you where you want to go, but they didn't
> answer this question directly).
> That'll never work, for at least two reasons.
>
> 1. iskeyword is a comma separated list of items.  The above attempts
> to remove one item "$->".
> 2. Even if the setting of iskeyword had separate items for $, -, and
> >, unless they appear in the setting *in that order* :set -= would not
> remove them; one has to remove them one at a time.  F.ex.,
> :set isk=a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j
> :set isk-=b,c        " works, "b,c" is found
> :set isk-=e,g        " doesn't work silently
> :set isk-=e isk-=g   " works
> 3. :set doesn't have the intelligence to convert to ascii, say a minus
> to 62.
> 4. :set doesn't have the intelligence to split up 60-62 into 60,61,62
> then remove the 62.
>
> You can see that :set has some general mechanisms for setting options,
> but no smarts for a particular option... though I'd not be surprised
> if there are exceptions to that.
  Hi John:

  Thank you for clarifying that. Some time after submitting the
  post, I did discover that myself. I find that it is generally a
  real stretch to offer any criticism of vim, but I did find that
  the command :h isk did not provide me with much edification.

  BTW: How would add or remove the comma itself from the keyword
  string?

  thanks again
--
Tim