On 01/28/2011 10:53 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 05:35:02PM EST, Tim Chase wrote:
I concur that prefixing Vim normal mode commands with a count, such as
‘7dw’ to delete the next seven words is ineffective.. Something like
‘dw....’ where you delete the next word (dw) and repeat the last command
(.) a number of times is the way I normally do it because I don't have
to count the words before I even start deleting. While I hit the dot (.)
repeatedly, I can see what I'm deleting and I know when to stop.. And
I can always hit ‘u’ for undo to bring back the words I deleted one at
a time in the event I got carried away.

This breaks when using t/T with ";"  to repeat the motion as it just finds
the same one you just found.  I have to break down and count for those :)

Another reason why I don't use t/T (and don't care much for f/F either).

There's only so much can fit under my skull.. and I prefer to stick with
a limited subset of keyboard actions that may not be the quickest and
most efficient for all occasions.. but that I can use without hesitation
or incurring any overhead rememberiing. Namely that if the cursor is at
the beginning of the line above and I want to get to the ‘..ii..’ typo
in ‘rememberiing.’, I find it considerably more effective when all is
told to just hit ‘w’ till I get to the beginning of the word
‘rememberiing’.. and either hit llll.. or hit ‘e’ to get to the end of
the word and then ‘hh‘ followed by ‘x’ to delete the last of the two

I used to do this and really hated it. I'm using ',' as leader for
mappings but if you don't, it's much easier, imho, to hit 'fi', then
hit ';' as many times as needed and then use ',' if you overshoot it.
Much fewer keystrokes than using 'w' in most cases.

But I mostly prefer to use a small function I wrote that jumps to 25%,
50% and 75% of current line (not including leading/trailing spaces) in
combination with motpat plugin mappings that make 'w' and 'b' commands
go to the next word ignoring punctuation. I use my function to jump
to closest spot to where I want to go and then it's either 'w', 'b', 'f'
or 't'. In 99% of cases I only need 2 keystrokes.

 -ak