On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 05:52:59AM EST, John Little wrote:

> In the spirit of this thread, I'll bite...
>
> Chris said:

> > There's only so much can fit under my skull..

> I don't believe that limit is relevant; there's only a few hundred vim
> commands, if you use them you'll remember them.

Sloppy wording.. sorry.. let me rephrase: ‘There's only so much that
I can commit to muscle memory’. What I can ’remember’ while quizzed or
otherwise cross-examined is irrelevant.

> > ... and I prefer to stick with a limited subset of keyboard actions
> > that may not be the quickest and most efficient for all occasions..
> > but that I can use without hesitation or incurring any overhead
> > rememberiing.

> Use more commands often enough and you'll use them without hesitation
> also.

Too many notes Mozart.. too many notes.. :-)

> > Clever is not always better..

> True, but vim really rewards being open to cleverness.  From
> http://www.moolenaar.net/habits.html: "If you think like this, you
> will get stuck in the stone age of computing. Some people use Notepad
> for everything, and then wonder why other people get their work done
> in half the time... "

You can edit twice as fast as me..?

> Read the rest of that article for some balance on this.

Hehe..I have read Bram's ‘Seven habits’ a few times.. Sometimes I get
delusional and start thinking I wrote it myself :-)

Yes, ‘some balance’ .. which is what I meant when I wrote ‘not ALWAYS
better’..

Here's some of the ‘balance’.. there's lots of it:

’You might object that you can't possibly learn all these commands
- there are hundreds of different movement commands, some simple, some
very clever - and it would take weeks of training to learn them all.
WELL, YOU DON'T NEED TO; instead realize what your specific way of
editing is, and LEARN ONLY THOSE COMMANDS THAT MAKE YOUR EDITING MORE
EFFECTIVE.’

More to the point, just after the ‘stone age’ bit..

‘DON'T OVERDO IT. If you always try to find the perfect command for
every little thing you do, YOUR MIND WILL HAVE NO TIME LEFT TO THINK
ABOUT THE WORK YOU WERE ACTUALLY DOING. Just pick out those actions that
take more time than necessary, and train the commands until you don't
need to think about it when using them. THEN YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE
TEXT.’

And how about:

’YOU SHOULD NOT TRY TO LEARN EVERY COMMAND AN EDITOR OFFERS.  That would
be a complete waste of time. Most people only need to learn 10  to 20
percent of the commands for their work. BUT IT'S A DIFFERENT SET OF
COMMANDS FOR EVERYBODY.’

And then there's the bigger picture:

’One last remark to remind you of what happens when people ignore all
the above:  I still see people who spend half their day behind a VDU
looking up at  their screen, then down at two fingers, then up at the
screen, etc. - and  then wonder why they get so tired... Type with ten
fingers! It's not just faster,  it also is much less tiresome. Using
a computer program for one hour each day, IT ONLY TAKES A COUPLE OF
WEEKS TO LEARN TO TOUCH-TYPE.’

I'm a bit skeptical about this last one... the time frame, I mean.. I've
been working at it for about five years now, and I'm just  beginning to
reach the point where I can type anything automatically and with no
overhead.. as when I am writing with a pen on a piece of paper.

Anyway, thank you for your comments.. let me get back to sharpening my
saw.

cj

Note: the caps in the quoted passages are obviously mine.. Not yelling,
just hilighting.