On Thu, March 10, 2011 9:14 am, Vivek Bhat wrote:
> I am trying to getting adept at VIM editing. There are few problems
> I am facing.  I do not know how to copy from file and then paste it
> into search command or colon command.  e.g. I have to search for
> word "foo" in the file. I want to be able to copy this word "foo",
> invoke search mode by pressing "/" and then paste the word there. I
> can do this by "C-c" and then "C-v" in gvim but I want to do this in
> VIM way not windows way.

The <C-R> key mappings are handy for this. This will insert the
specified register at the position of the cursor.
For example to insert the contents of the search register enter <C-R>/,
that is, in Cmdline mode press Ctrl-R followed by '/' (without the
single quotes) and this will insert the contents of the search register.

BTW, this also works in insert mode.

See also the help
:h c_<C-R>
:h i_CTRL-R