On 07/04/11 04:39, Jerry wrote:

Hello, I have just installed vim 7.3. When I try to start gvim, I got
the following error message:

The program 'gvim' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
   (Details: serial 503 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported
asynchronously;
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Does anybody know what is happening here? I would appreciate any
input. BTW, I am running vim on Solaris.

Thanks, everybody.

Maybe trying to edit a very big file on a system with little memory? If the file is larger than the sum of your free RAM and free swap, there's no way Vim can edit it. If it's "almost" as large, it won't be easy. And in general, of course, virtual memory is much slower than actual RAM.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.