On 2011-04-10, Tomasz Moskal wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I seems to have a small issue with text width when filetype plugin is
> loaded. Let me explain:
> I'm reading now 'Zsh Guide' and use vim for taking notes and everything
> is working as it should when I stick to notes in plain English. As soon
> as I include any example of code vim is loading zsh/sh plugins. I would
> not mind this if it wouldn't be for text width; I got 'set textwidth=78'
> in vimrc but as soon as those plugins are loaded this value is not
> respected any more. I would like to keep filetype plugins in my vimrc as
> indentation/syntax features they provide are more than useful but how to
> force them to obey 'set textwidth'?
> I'm using vim 7.3 and my (unimpressive) vimrc look like so:
>
> set nocompatible
> set nomodeline
> set textwidth=78
> set autoindent
> set tabstop=8
> set shiftwidth=8
> set ruler
> autocmd BufRead /usr/home/moloch/.mutt/temp/mutt*   :source
> ~/.vim/mail.vim
> map <F9>  :w!<CR>:!aspell --lang=en_GB -c --dont-backup %<CR>:e! %<CR>
> filetype on
> filetype plugin on
> filetype indent on
> colo desert
> syntax on
> set ofu=syntaxcomplete#Complete
>
> I'm still very much reading through 'Vim Manual' so any help on above
> matter is appreciated.

The solution will depend on how and where 'textwidth' is being set.
I don't see where 'tw' or 'textwidth' is being set in either the
sh.vim or zsh.vim ftplugins.  It's also odd that you say that
'textwidth' is changed "as soon as I include any example of code."
Vim normally triggers filetype detection when files are read into a
new buffer, not when they are read or copied into an existing
buffer.

You can find out where 'textwidth' is being set by executing

    :verbose set tw?

Let us know the answer and we can proceed from there.

Regards,
Gary