On 10 Apr, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2011-04-10, Tomasz Moskal wrote:
>> Hey,

>> I seems to have a small issue with text width when filetype plugin is
>> loaded. Let me explain:
>> I'm reading now 'Zsh Guide' and use vim for taking notes and everything
>> is working as it should when I stick to notes in plain English. As soon
>> as I include any example of code vim is loading zsh/sh plugins. I would
>> not mind this if it wouldn't be for text width; I got 'set textwidth=78'
>> in vimrc but as soon as those plugins are loaded this value is not
>> respected any more. I would like to keep filetype plugins in my vimrc as
>> indentation/syntax features they provide are more than useful but how to
>> force them to obey 'set textwidth'?
>> I'm using vim 7.3 and my (unimpressive) vimrc look like so:

>> set nocompatible
>> set nomodeline
>> set textwidth=78
>> set autoindent
>> set tabstop=8
>> set shiftwidth=8
>> set ruler
>> autocmd BufRead /usr/home/moloch/.mutt/temp/mutt*   :source
>> ~/.vim/mail.vim
>> map <F9>  :w!<CR>:!aspell --lang=en_GB -c --dont-backup %<CR>:e! %<CR>
>> filetype on
>> filetype plugin on
>> filetype indent on
>> colo desert
>> syntax on
>> set ofu=syntaxcomplete#Complete

>> I'm still very much reading through 'Vim Manual' so any help on above
>> matter is appreciated.

> The solution will depend on how and where 'textwidth' is being set.
> I don't see where 'tw' or 'textwidth' is being set in either the
> sh.vim or zsh.vim ftplugins.  It's also odd that you say that
> 'textwidth' is changed "as soon as I include any example of code."
> Vim normally triggers filetype detection when files are read into a
> new buffer, not when they are read or copied into an existing
> buffer.

> You can find out where 'textwidth' is being set by executing

>     :verbose set tw?

> Let us know the answer and we can proceed from there.

> Regards,
> Gary

Solved! Well sort of... Thanks for the tip with ':verbose set tw' - now
I know what is happening. Culprit wasn't neither 'sh' nor 'zsh' plugin but
'acp'. And I wasn't exactly correct with assumption that it's happening
"as soon as I include any example of code." Here is what was happening:

The file I was putting my notes in was called 'zsh_guide' and by including
word 'zsh' I triggered acp plugin. Text width was taken from the acp the
whole time - I simply didn't notice it till later in the text as after
first few lines I used manual break.

I wouldn't figure it out without ':verbose set tw' which gave me 'Last
set from ~/.vim/autoload/acp.vim'. Solution for me will be to modify acp
code to desired width but that, at least for the time being, is beyond
me. So I will stick to not including 'zsh' in the the file name.

Thanks!

--
Tomasz Moskal