Every now and then I look up from what I'm doing and think "there
might be a better way." In this hopeful spirit, I just ran :help
plugins

GETTING A GLOBAL PLUGIN
Where can you find plugins?
- Some come with Vim.  You can find them in the directory $VIMRUNTIME/
macros and its sub-directories.

Jolly good!

>echo $VIMRUNTIME

>echo $VIMRUNTIME

So, I'm managing to run vim without a VIMRUNTIME setting? Does it
matter? Should I have one? Ad it's only fair to say that if anyone
manages to help with that question there'll undoubtedly be more: the
goal is to activate the matchit plugin, concerning which the help says
"Very useful, although it's not backwards compatible (that's why it is
not enabled by default)." Backwards compatible with what, I have to
wonder …

ubuntu 10.04, vim 7.2 ... Thanks in advance!