On Apr 14, 4:24 am, eNG1Ne <communicator....@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I'm managing to run vim without a VIMRUNTIME setting? Does it
> matter? Should I have one? Ad it's only fair to say that if anyone
> manages to help with that question there'll undoubtedly be more: the
> goal is to activate the matchit plugin, concerning which the help says
> "Very useful, although it's not backwards compatible (that's why it is
> not enabled by default)." Backwards compatible with what, I have to
> wonder …

Pretty much every Vim has a VIMRUNTIME, but it usually calculates it
by itself. It's where the various runtime files that let Vim function
(and provide many of the features, like syntax highlighting) are kept.
It's usually in the same general area as the vim executable.

When Vim says "not backwards compatible" it usually refers to vi
behavior. This is probably saying that matchit changes the behavior of
the % key, so that it no longer does the same thing as vi. It makes it
better.