Thanks all.

Yes its weird, according to dpkg I have 7.2x and this is indeed the binary at
/usr/bin/vim.basic
which I ran for the first time a few seconds ago.

Normally I run the binary /usr/local/bin/vim which is 7.3
I do not remember how I achieved this - sorry.

Anyway it has been compiled thusly:
-multi_byte
+multi_lang

All I want is the 7.3 goodness (like serialised undo) *and* displaying of
multibyte chars
without silly spell error messages.

Now the whole point of this mail is:
I DO have this in this version of vim but not all the time. For example when
mutt spawns the very same vim, it does NOT show the multibyte character and
gives a spell error.  If however I e: a file into a second buffer then it DOES
render perfectly but not of course when I r: that file.

So far I diff'ed the settings and there is no significant differnce between the
buffers.

huh?

How do I find out how to ensure that vim works the way I want each time?

--
- Eric Smith