On 24/04/11 09:29, Joan Miquel Torres Rigo wrote:
2011/4/22 Gary Johnson<garyj...@spocom.com>:

The point is that there is no functional reason that Vim has to use
"-" to mean that its buffer contents are coming from stdin.  My
guess is that Vim's use of "-" is another quirk resulting from its
historical connections to vi, ex and ed.

Then, how could you do something like this if stdin is always threated
as input file?:

echo ":wq"|vim foo.txt

Quite unuseful, ok. But we could add much more commands to the input stream.

Well, this is not the "normal" use of vim. But is it "echo something |
vim -" as well?

Regards.

Not with echo; but I have set up Mercurial to use "view -" as a pager for the commands which generate long output (e.g. hg diff, hg glog, hg cat) and this doesn't look like an "abnormal" use of Vim to me. I find it much nicer than plain "less", or (worse) than having long streams of text go past on the console with no pause for me to read them.

Best regards,
Tony.
72. Somebody at IRC just mentioned a way to obtain full motion video without
    a PC using a wireless protocol called NTSC, you wonder how you never
    heard about it