* Gary Johnson <garyj...@spocom.com> [110424 22:42]:
> I was suggesting that the current means used to specify whether
> stdin is treated as a data file or as a command stream is not the
> only way it could have been done.  For example, when stdin is not
> connected to a terminal, Vim could assume that stdin should be
> treated as a data file and could require a flag to specify that
> stdin should be treated as a command stream.
Of course this could be changed; but arguably, this will break many
setups that rely on vim's being a filter like vi,ex,younameit.

> I frequently pipe the output of some command into Vim to use Vim as
> a pager, or to use the command output as the start of a new file, or
> to edit and then execute some part of the command output.
Maybe you want to look at the vim-pager-macros, on my system (Gentoo)
found here:

/usr/share/vim/vim73/macros/less.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim73/macros/less.sh
# Shell script to start Vim with less.vim.
# Read stdin if no arguments were given.

Would an alias like 'vl' for vim-less help you? Then you could use...

$ some --programme | vl
instead of
$ some --programme | vim -

> Regards,