On 16/06/11 21:33, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Benjamin Koltai<bkolta...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Also, the result of :version is:
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Jul  5 2010 16:33:43)
Included patches: 1-127, 257
Compiled by 'http://www.opensuse.org/'
Is this out of date? What is the easiest way to update?

I don't think we've responded to this, yet.

Yes, this is out of date. The latest is 7.3.219, and a lot of new
features have been added (to Vim itself as well as to 2html). Some of
my other answers (especially the options which might affect speed)
depend on this recent version of 2html.

The easiest way, would be if your Linux distribution has up-to-date
packages in their repository. But often these are fairly out of date.
Check the repository first, but failing that, you can compile Vim
yourself fairly easily. The source code is available through Mercurial
from:

http://code.google.com/p/vim

There should be a readme there that says how to compile (it's pretty
standard). If you get stuck you can google for "building Vim" or check
the wiki:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Building_Vim

The current Vim in the openSUSE distribution is 7.3.62 which is still a lot behind the times.

I recommend compiling your own, see
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Actor:  So what do you do for a living?
Doris:  I work for a company that makes deceptively shallow serving